1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

How much food do your chicks eat???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nuttyredhead, May 11, 2010.

1. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Songster 8 Years

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    My chicks are 4 weeks old, i have 12 of them. I am feeding them 2 quart feeders of the medicated food a day... is that too much? THey had gone through 50 pounds in 3 weeks??? Is this normal? I only have maybe 3 days left, do i switch them to the regualar food, or get another bag of medicated?

Also, I have the 1 quart feeder (the one from tractor supply). Do you dump out any leftover food when you feed or just add in??? Half the time i end up dumping out what is left in the bottom, it is usually filled with shavings!

THanks,

Beth

2. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED 8 Years

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Mine (31) ate about 50 lbs of food in the first 3 weeks. They are little feathered pigs. That also doesnt include the countless grapes, about 2 dozen eggs, 1000 meal worms, 400 crickets and various worms and beetles I caught for them.

I'd go ahead and switch to regular food.

I don't have a quart feeder, I have one of the long ones. I scoop out the poo and shavings daily and clean it out fully each week, regardless of what's left.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: