How much food for...

I've read about four ounces per hen per day, I think. Personally, I just pour some out and if they eat it all before 24 hours, I pour a little more next time. Give us an idea how much food you're going through in a time period for how many hens. For example, I have about a dozen layers, a full sized roo, five bantams, and four rouen ducks. Two fifty pound bags lasts me right at two weeks.

I've read about four ounces per hen per day, I think. Personally, I just pour some out and if they eat it all before 24 hours, I pour a little more next time. Give us an idea how much food you're going through in a time period for how many hens. For example, I have about a dozen layers, a full sized roo, five bantams, and four rouen ducks. Two fifty pound bags lasts me right at two weeks.

Well I have 9 hens and I don't exactly know how many pounds of food I give them a day..I think about 2 pounds a day but not sure! :)

If you have 9 large fowl hens, they'll eat 3 pounds per day in cold weather. Much less if they can range about and weather is warm, and they can eat bugs and grass. At this rate, you would go through a 50 lb bag in 2 1/2 weeks. A 50 lb bag will last you three weeks in more mild weather.

I assume your folks think they're having to go to the feed store too often?

Your sig shows 4 roosters as well?

Last edited:
If you have 9 large fowl hens, they'll eat 3 pounds per day in cold weather. Much less if they can range about and weather is warm, and they can eat bugs and grass. At this rate, you would go through a 50 lb bag in 2 1/2 weeks. A 50 lb bag will last you three weeks in more mild weather.

I assume your folks think they're having to go to the feed store too often?

Your sig shows 4 roosters as well?
Yeah, I can't keep the roosters,.Just too lazy to change it :lol: I just got rid of my last roo sunday..I wish I could keep them but we can't because of neighbors! :) Oh and one of my hens, Amber, died about a month ago! I don't know why! ): I guess it's just all the chickens I have raised.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom