How much food is needed daily for a duck?

luvmyduckies

Songster
6 Years
May 12, 2016
Upper Sandusky OHIO
How much food is needed daily for a duck?
I have 18 ducks the smallest are Khakis and the largest are Pekins. They free range around the pond until I put them up at night.

My friends tease me saying I have the most spoiled ducks, they also seem to think that ducks are a bit piggish lol

I keep a bowl of food out free choice........If I try to regulate their feed they gorge themselves as soon as its put out.....During the summer they hardly touch the feed, now its winter so they eat more feed. Although they still eat whatever grasses they find as they free range.....

Cheers!

There is a table in Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks - I have found the same as chickens really, and my rescues get anxious if there is no feed in the bowl.But many people have timed feedings. Do you have Storey's Guide?

Beautiful flock!

There is a table in Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks - I have found the same as chickens really, and my rescues get anxious if there is no feed in the bowl.But many people have timed feedings. Do you have Storey's Guide?

Beautiful flock!
Strange.....My rescue gets very excited over the feed bowl also.....She will head back to the run alone to get a mouthful even when they are all out free ranging........

Silly Ducks!

Cheers!

I keep feed out at all times in the day light. I think my layers need extra since they are laying an egg for me every day. When it's spring and summer and there are bugs to eat they don't eat as much feed but they still eat it. I do watch my flocks body weight so they don't get over weight. They have alot of hills here to climb and forge through so they get a work out each day too.

Beautiful flock!
I was gonna mention Storey's too
big_smile.png

I recommend you get it, it is very helpful
Because I missed out on that....I'll write it for you
For non laying ducks it is .05 less for each measurement
4-5 lb laying ducks(campbells) 0.2 - 0.3 lbs a day
6-7(ancona, swedish)0.4 - 0.5
8-9(pekin) 0.45 - 0.6

Just measure the pound weights on a scale...I dont even bother. I just feed em till they arent hungry. After a while, you just know how much to bring out

Back
Top Bottom