how much food

Discussion in 'Quail' started by abobwhat, Apr 12, 2011.

1. abobwhat

abobwhat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    SoCal
    I was wondering how much feed do about 20 to 25 8 week old quail go thru a week?

i am trying to figure out how large of a feeder to get

sorry still learning and always will be

THANK YOU

2. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Not sure what species you are raising, but 200 coturnix quail eat between 100-150+/- pounds of feed a week. I'll let you do the complicated math [​IMG]

3. abobwhat

abobwhat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    SoCal
    thanx!

4. SandraMort

SandraMort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    How do such leetle tiny birds eat so much?

5. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Quote:About 25-30% is due to waste. Waste created by the birds themselves, the fact that I raise them on wire(Spilled feed goes into the poo pile), as well as the feed monster waste. (His inability to cull the feeder dumpers) adds to the waste.

Coturnix are both a blessing and a curse. You don't go from hatch to full egg production in about 8 weeks, without eating a vent load of GBS!

This is why I say that no game bird/quail converts feed to protein any more efficiently than another. It's just a time thing. Every species has it's up sides and down sides.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  6. SandraMort

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    Quote:Ahhh, ok. Did you see my feed q? I was wondering if I could take home made suet or lard and make homemade versions of the wild bird suet blocks that would be high enough in protein to work for them, yet prevent waste.

Coturnix are both a blessing and a curse. You don't go from hatch to full egg production in about 8 weeks, without eating a vent load of GBS!

GOOD POINT!!!

This is why I say that no game bird/quail converts feed to protein any more efficiently than another. It's just a time thing. Every species has it's up sides and down sides.

I was under the impression that it was still more favorable than chickens.​

7. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I give my Coturnix a cup of mealworms every Tuesday and Sunday to save on feed costs. Lots of protein in mealworms and they don't eat as much of GBS those days [​IMG] Just a little tidbit and I have nice birdies [​IMG]

8. SandraMort

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    When you say "a cup", do you mean an eight fluid ounce cup? And how many birds are eating this twice a week cup of worms? Would it make sense to offer them daily?

9. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    SOME OF MINE GET PROCESSED @ 8 WEEKS OTHER AT 10 WEEKS so quiet a few of my 8 week olds do not eat much at all [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by