how much food

It depends on if/how much they free-range. I cant give you an exact amount of how much they'll eat, but you'll buy less layer (pellets) if they free range a lot.
I have 20 chickens on layer pellets & I go through between 50-100 lbs per month. They free-range a few hours a day, but they also get leftovers.

Our flock of 40+ (darn chicken math!) free-range a lot during the day. We only go through just over 50-lbs of feed per month at this point plus food scraps, but we know as winter comes in they'll be relying on us more for their survival.

Plus, depending on how your feeder is set up and/or located, you may end up going through more feed due to chickens tossing it all over the place and/or mice and/or birds stealing the food. Our feeder is hanging from the ceiling in the coop about chicken "chin" level so they're not as prone to wasting the feed. Wild birds aren't as likely to go into the coop after the feed and our coop is (so far still) secure that we don't have a rodent problem.

I know I go through more than I should, but I'm trying to change that. I've got goats & zebu that get into the feed periodically if I'm not paying attention & leave the gate open.
I've also cut down on how much they are given on a daily basis, making sure they eat what they are given & not leaving it overnight...and closing the gate! On my days off I am also letting them free range all day, so that's helping some. I hope to be down to at least 50 lbs or less during the winter, less in the spring.

4 oz. per chicken times 4 chickens is an easy 1 pound per day or 30 pounds in a month. Free ranging or scratch will reduce the amount of feed needed and that is for adults. Mine eat about 2.3 oz a day/chicken due to treats, range and scratch cutting the amount they need.

Last edited:
Wow! I have 21 chickens and they go through 150 -200 lbs a month! But then, that's all they get, other than eggshells and the occasional treats. Mine do not free-range at all. We have too many predators in my area to allow that. We do feed them all the grass clippings when we mow the yard, though. And when the wild strawberries and blackberries are ready, we give them those.

Wow! I have 21 chickens and they go through 150 -200 lbs a month!

But that's almost exactly what the 4 oz / chicken / day would work out to for 21 chickens:

21*4oz=5.25 lbs a day x 30 = 157 lbs /mo

You're probably going to loose pounds for scratching/other critters that freeload etc.​

Quote:
But that's almost exactly what the 4 oz / chicken / day would work out to for 21 chickens:

21*4oz=5.25 lbs a day x 30 = 157 lbs /mo

You're probably going to loose pounds for scratching/other critters that freeload etc.

WHEW! I was beginning to think I was stuffing my chickens!

Back
Top Bottom