How much food?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ving, Sep 13, 2012.

1. ving

ving Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2012
    I have 1 bantam Cochin and a standard Cochin and I realise now I have no idea how much to feed them per day!
    Any sugestions?

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Chickens will not overeat layer feed, so most folks free feed. If you have rodent issues, you might want to put the feed away at night time. Technically, they'll probably eat about 1/4 cup of feed per day each...less if they're able to free range in season (plenty of bugs/grass). I would never want to see my chickens' feeders empty.

3. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    How old are they?
    Are you talking about their regular feed, or treats?
    I have always put out a feeder with their regular food in it. They are good and will eat only what they Need.
    If they free range, then they will not eat as much feed.
    I also give mine scratch

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  4. ving

ving Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2012
    so about a 1/4 cup a day each... good, i am on track.
    they also get treats but not daily.
    one is post egg production (i think) the other just into egg production.

scratch? one of my loves a scratch on the neck or back... the other not so much :p (whats scratch)

5. terryg

terryg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2007
    New England
    How much pelleted food they eat depends very much on what else they have access to. If they're free ranging they'll get about half their intake from what they find. But, it's good to offer free choice pellets during the day and make sure that they have a full crop going to roost at night. It takes 25 hours to make an egg, and much of that time is when the hen is sleeping. The egg process depletes their reserves, and it's much better for them to be digesting food while it's happening. I have sensible info for feeding backyard flocks here:
    http://hencam.com/faq/what-to-feed-your-chickens/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by