how much food

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by gmcdeadhead, Oct 7, 2012.

1. gmcdeadhead

gmcdeadhead New Egg

May 13, 2012
    i have 6 - 6 month old bantums , can i keep a feeder in there pen 24/7? or is this to much food for them? there in a pen/coop like the wichita cabin coop. then they have a small outside pen i let them go in. some one said they just feed there chickens once in the morning and once at night . which is the right way to feed?

2. TallChickMagnet

TallChickMagnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2012
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    I have been tought to let them have access to food at all times. I keep a full feed trough in their pen, and I give them snacks and scratch at different times a day. So, Lay Mash at all times, and treats from time to time.

3. mickey328

mickey328 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    We keep the food and water in the pen as well; we want to encourage them to use the coop only for sleeping, laying and shelter during nasty weather. We have 6 hens and fill 2 quart sized feeders each morning; they free feed all day on both the feed and various treats...since they're really good layers, I give them extra protein pretty much every day. On days when they get more treats (trimmings, grain, leftover meats and such) they eat less of the feed. You just need to monitor them...if they seem to be getting too fat, you might need to cut down, but in general they'll eat enough to maintain themselves.

4. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Free feeding is ideal, and they will not eat too munch, they will self-regulate.

5. gmcdeadhead

gmcdeadhead New Egg

May 13, 2012
    i'm just gonna fill the feeder up and leave it where i had it in the pen.

6. Melabella

Melabella Overrun With Chickens

Jun 2, 2011
    x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by