How much for 6 month old RIRs for?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by DUCKGIRL89, Oct 25, 2011.

1. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    My mom has 10 or more RIR hens that she wants to sell. But doesnt know how much to sell them for. What should she sell them for?

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Cheap [​IMG] Production laying Reds are very common, out here they usually go for $8-12 each.

3. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Quote:See, what you call cheap I call out of my price range, lol. RIRs (admittedly not the highest quality) are abundant in my area. The best I could do were I selling this time of the year would be about 7.00 each. Spring I would get around 10.00. Winter they are basically nearly free, lol.

4. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    They go for $1-4 for a hen 1-2yrs old around here. I was trying to get $10 each for my 18wk old Wyandottes and everyone laughed. I took them to a swap, let everyone know they were hatchery and I still got my $10 each and I sold out (23 birds) in less than an hour. So, moral is, depends on your location. [​IMG]

5. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    So is $12.00 to much? There are TONS of people looking for ducks and chickens right now. So maybe they can go for that much...

6. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    You might be holding onto them for a while at 12.00 each, but like Reyvaughn said, it depends on location. Also depends on how common that breed is in the area. Where I live, Buff Orpingtons and Barred Rocks and Dominiques go much higher than Rhode Island Reds, for whatever reason. I hate to say you won't get 12.00 each because you may come back on here in a week and say "guess what! we got 12.00 each!" but if I were selling, I would ask maybe 9.00 each and be willing to drop to 7.00. Maybe you could offer a group deal of 10.00 each or all for 75.00?

7. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    BigDaddy'sGurl :

You might be holding onto them for a while at 12.00 each, but like Reyvaughn said, it depends on location. Also depends on how common that breed is in the area. Where I live, Buff Orpingtons and Barred Rocks and Dominiques go much higher than Rhode Island Reds, for whatever reason. I hate to say you won't get 12.00 each because you may come back on here in a week and say "guess what! we got 12.00 each!" but if I were selling, I would ask maybe 9.00 each and be willing to drop to 7.00. Maybe you could offer a group deal of 10.00 each or all for 75.00?

You make a very good point. I saw some Buff orp chicks for $6 as day olds, and he closed it within a few hours becuz they were all sold. Maybe she can get them for $12.00 who knows...​

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If people in your area are looking for laying hens, I'd advertise them at $20 each. They're young, point of lay or laying, and while hatchery birds aren't the best quality apa-wise, they usually lay like stink. If no takers at that price, I'd drop it to fifteen, then ten, etc. You could always give a discount on volume--ie $20 each or ten for 150.

9. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

If they are hens, hatched early last spring? In other words, first year pullets? They'll grab much more attention and a better price if advertised as such.
    If they are two year hens? Not a whole bunch of interest. Sorry to say.

10. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Fred's Hens :

If they are hens, hatched early last spring? In other words, first year pullets? They'll grab much more attention and a better price if advertised as such.
    If they are two year hens? Not a whole bunch of interest. Sorry to say.

I said they are pullets. Not laying yet, they are six months old. Bought from mcmurry hatchery...​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by