How much for a Americana??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mustangsaguaro, Jan 11, 2008.

1. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    How much would you pay for a 9 month old Americana that lays green eggs? There is an ad on CL in my part of the country and the person is asking $20 each. I think that is a little pricey. What do you guys think and how much would you pay?

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Altho $20.00 does seem a little pricey...maybe they want to assure they will not be eaten. I dont know what birds go for in you area..but here, I would never get that much. However....its laying age...so..maybe...I gues supply and demand works in here.

3. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    If it's a pure breed, I could see charging $20 as a breeder.

4. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    I would agree about the pure breed, meaning one that meets the APA standard of perfection.

If you ask them if its a pure breed, and they have not crossed in with any white or brown laying stock , they may say yes. ( In many cases this would not be them lying to you, its simply they do not know better, what is and what is not a true Americana is not wildly known, as evidenced how many times questions are asked about the subject on this board alone)

Non-APA standard chicks can be purchase for under 2.00 each,.

I wouldn't pay more than 10.00 for a laying hen, of any non APA standard, that includes the Industrial and production breeds that mimick the breeeds listed in the standard of perfection.

By the way , this isnt a personal issue, its simply a market driven issue.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
  5. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I sold a splash Ameraucana for $25 he was beautiful.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

For an Easter Egger, I'd say it's pretty high. I'd sell almost any laying pullet for $10, perhaps a true Ameraucana for $15-20. Depends on quality, too. Could go higher. It's hard to find a true Ameraucana of any quality and good quality is even more rare.

7. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I sell pretty much all of my laying hens for $20 including EE, especially for point-of-lay (6 mos to a year). People don't mind paying it because they don't have to deal with heat lamps and raising chicks and the chance of a roosters..it's an automatic egg machine right from the start. [​IMG] I don't find it unreasonable.

Jody

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Well, then, there ya go! The feedstore here does sell all layers for $20 apiece. It may depend to a degree on the locale as well.

9. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    market driven, my point exactly, I wish I lived in an area you could get 20.00 for a laying hen, I can hardly get 7.00

10. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Cyn - I wasn't saying you were wrong or anyone else for that matter. I hope you didn't take it as that. I was just stating what I do. A lot does depend on other factors...location, health of flock, age and appearance of hen, etc and people's desires and wants.

Jody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by