How much garlic should you give your chicks, specifically?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SJchickens, Mar 21, 2015.

1. SJchickens

SJchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2015
    Long Island, NY
    Hello! We're getting our first chicks in about a week. I have done extensive research on disease prevention, specifically Cocci. We've decided against buying our chicks medicated feed, going with non-GMO organic feed instead, since our goal is to raise natural natural chickens. Because of this, we would like to be giving our chicks some holistic remedies. The two I have done the most research on is ACV, and garlic.

With ACV, people are fairly clear. You give them about a tablespoon a gallon of water, and you will have results. Garlic is a little less clear. People say how great it is (when used extremely sparingly). If you give them too much, they could get Heinz Anemia. This makes me very nervous, especially because no one will tell me how much to give them! So here is my question:

How much garlic should you give your chicks to keep them healthy, specifically?

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Welcome! Amprolium medicated feed is approved for use in certified organic flocks, so it's fine to feed regardless. I wouldn't feed any garlic, there's no reason for it, and no data showing it's usefulness. Healthy chicks come from healthy flocks, and eat a good balanced chick ration. Mary

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I would give them water and leave out the vinegar. Just water. Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by