How much grapefruit seed extract do I give my hen?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenman98, Jun 20, 2011.

1. chickenman98

chickenman98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Eastern Oklahoma
    I was wondering what the dosage was for chickens.
    Thanks

2. feliciamckee

feliciamckee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    J Bro
    I use GSE for everything! Is the kind you have concentrated? Most of it is. A little goes a long way. I am new to taking care of chickens but I know GSE works really well as an anti biotic. When I take it in juice, I usually put about 3 drops because I can't stand the taste. I plan on giving some to my rooster and will probably put about 10 drops in about a quart of water, but maybe someone else on here can be more specific.

3. earthmama24

earthmama24 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2011
    Charleston
    For healthy chickens, I use about 30 drops to 1 gallon of water. If you have a sick chicken that you are dosing individually, I would do 1-2 drops in about 1/4 cup of water and squirt it down her throat, 3 times a day. I have also been known to just stick straight GSE in one of our silkie roosters mouths, as he sounded congested and I was afraid he was coming down with the coryza, but he is next to impossible to catch, so it was a one time deal. Next day he was fine and he never lost a beat.

That's what's working to keep my chickies healthy, you may find that you don't need quite that much or you may need more.

Also, on a side note, I discovered that they make GSE in pill form and it is awesome!!! That is what I am currently taking to get over a bad flu and it it working wonders without the bad taste.

4. jippolit

jippolit New Egg

Mar 21, 2012
    Hi from Costa Rica,

I can't speak specifically to the dose for the chickens, but I am using G.S.E. for an antibacterial / antifungal treatment for the coop and all basic cleaning purposes. We don't have the U.S. brand names here. I buy ours at the agricultural supply house, and we are mixing the liquid concentrate at a rate of 6ml (cc) per liter of water.

It is sold here as a general antibacterial / antifungal treatment for crops.

To dose the girls, I think I would prefer the food-grade citricidial or other accepted brands we use for ourselves--purchased from the USA.

Joe

5. sophietay

sophietay New Egg

Jun 28, 2015
    How many days do you give the drops for, thanks

6. ladyearth

ladyearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    where yall buy it for a good price? esp that food grade citric dial ??? can it made yourself? I havent seen regular grapfruits in years>>. only Red Ruby etc... I wonder if the seeds are just dried and ground? HUH????
    thank all

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by