1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How much grass is too much?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by obsessedwchicks, Feb 12, 2013.

1. obsessedwchicks

obsessedwchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2013
    Is there a limit on giving chickens grass? I'm so new to all this :/

2. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    I would be careful with grass clippings or long grass. It can ball up in their crop and cause a blockage. Not sure where the line is for 'too much'. Just be wary and look for any signs of an impacted crop.

3. obsessedwchicks

Feb 12, 2013
    Just didn't know if 5 buckets of grass was too much or not. Thanks for the reply! My chickens seem to eat all the grass I spread out for them.

4. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Mine eat grass all the time, when it is growing. They also have many other plants to eat, so they have options. I don't bag the clippings, so they eat whatever there is to be had. The process of nipping off the tips of the grass blade seems different from eating a blade of grass lying on the ground. I don't know that it matters.

Chris

5. obsessedwchicks

Feb 12, 2013
    I'm thinking grass is a great thing to pull for them every day or every other day. I just don't want them to start thinking I'm pulling them 9 buckets of grass every week! HA! The grass was really cold yesterday, so I guess I must love my chickens more than they know.

6. lisascenic

lisascenic Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2011
    We've concluded that "too much" is when the houligans eat our entire back yard.

The chickens may not agree with this assessment.

7. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    You can feed them as much grass as they'll eat.

~ Aspen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by