How much greens do my chickens need?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by sufan, Sep 2, 2008.

1. sufan

sufan New Egg

Jun 12, 2007
    I have my chickens in an area that is 12' X 30' and they have eaten all of the green stuff that they like in that area. My question is, how much should I be giving them to supplement the feed I give them. When ever i give them some grass or salad greens they seem to eat it right up and I want to be sure they have enough!

Thanks! [​IMG]

2. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Hi, sufan! How old are your chickens? How many are in that space? What are you feeding them (both feed type and "snacks")?

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Many of us wrestle with that issue. In fact, I'm in the process of building a small addition onto the back of my run, just so they can go in for a couple hours each day to eat fresh, growing grass. My intention is to allow them in it only a few hours each day, so they won't eat the grass down. But, I'll probably end up making it a permanent run. Sigh. Never enough room...

The commercial feeds are supposed to be "complete" feeds, meaning they have everything a chicken needs in it. I have a hard time believing that, and so I buy fresh greens from the sales bin at the supermarket each week.

Edited to say: WELCOME TO BYC!!!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  4. sufan

sufan New Egg

Jun 12, 2007
    My chickens are almost 5 months old, and I have four of them. I feed them layers mash, with some treats including sunflower seeds, corn on the cob, grapes, cantelopes and tomatoes

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

We have a pear tree, apple tree and peach tree. The babes get all the droppers, and they LOVE them. We also give them broccoli, cantelope, grapes, lettuce, tomatoes. They love all the fruits and veggies.

6. babychickfarmer

babychickfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

I wouldn't say you have to have greens for them constantly but they sure do love them.

I have greenhouses and thats all we grow is greens (lettuce, chards, kales, sprouts, that sorta thing) and they get greens everyday. [​IMG]

7. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    The greens are supposed to be responsible for the nice dark yolk, they also have tons of vitamins and minerals. I wouldn't feed them a bowl of iceberg lettuce, but why skimp on the good stuff, like collards, turnip and beet greens, rabe, cabbage, etc.?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by