How much grit to give 2 week old chicks

Ksherlock

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 7, 2012
We have the one quart chick feeder. How much grit should we put in it? The baby chick grit bag doesn't say. We are going to start letting them roam in the chicken pen this weekend for a while and we are giving them a very small amount of rolled oats.

I've always just scattered a little grit on the ground. They don't need much and they won't over eat it. You'll see them pick some up and taste it, drop it, pick something else up and taste it, etc. Scattering it on the ground mimics a more natural way of eating, just like they'd pick up little chips of stone if they were wild hatched.

Yes, just put it in a separate container near their food and they will take what they need from it

That's what I did. First time I would just put a little in the dish, mine ate it like it was a treat. If they were ducks they would have sank like a rock. They should know when to quit though. Some also sprinkle it on their food like you would add salt to your food. Just throwing it on the ground like donrae will work too.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom