How much grit?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by carladababe, Mar 16, 2011.

1. carladababe

carladababe Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Dixon, Missouri
    I feed my chicks medicated chick starter, and on occasion have given them Meal worms and a chopped boiled egg. Do I have to supplement with grit? How do I give it them? [​IMG]

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I think it depends on how old they are, if they are really little, you can give them parakeet grit. Just offer it to them in a dish and let them take it as they need it.

I don't give mine grit as they are only on chick starter - I don't give treats until they are older (8 weeks plus)

3. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    I was told, Parakeet grit is ok if it doesnt have added Calcium. They do sell poulty grit at tsc around here.

4. woody1

woody1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2010
    Just North of the PRK
    Just give 'em a little builders sand. I just sprinkle a little in the feed. There should be a little grit in your starter also. Regards, Woody

5. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    I used Parakeet grit before, they need it for the meal worms especially. I just put some in a jar lid, and sometimes it seems they think the grit is the treat [​IMG] .

6. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    TSC has chick grit, which is what I use....It lasts forever. You don't need to feed it if they're strictly on chick crumbles, but if they get anything else, you should provide it. I like to just sprinkle some in their food.......sort of like you would sprinkle salt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by