1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How much grit?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by oherman, Apr 1, 2012.

1. oherman

oherman New Egg

Mar 25, 2012
    I have 6 3-day old chicks in the brooder. I know I should mix the chick grit into their food and I have, but how much is too much? Is there a too much?

2. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    At three days old they should still be on there starter food and don't require grit as it is easy for them to digest. As soon as you start giving them treats nd other foods then they will require "chick" grit which is smaller in size. I don't mix the grit with their food but offer it in seperate container. I did only put it in for a short time when I did offer it as they eat alot of it to start with. Now as they have gotten older they don't consume near as much at one time.

3. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    i didn't offer grit until about 3 wks old when i started giving them variety in their diet. i put it in free choice. chick grit that didn't have any calcium in it.

4. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    I put a bowl of chick grit in the brooder after they are about a week old.The eat a lot for a day or two and then they slow down. I leave it in there all of the time one I give to to them. I never sprinkle it on the food.

5. questions543

questions543 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    good information... Does any one know how much grit/oyster shell adult hens eat a day?

6. Izzymoon

Izzymoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    My Coop
    I just put chick grit around their food dish, as I have it raised on a plastic box, and they seem to like it that way. When I offered a separate dish they spilled it over fast, wasting it

no clue on the adults I only have 5-1/2 week old chicks

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  7. Chicks on DL

Chicks on DL Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2012
    West Coast, Florida.
    They don't eat much since it is held in their crop to help break down what they eat. My girls are 5 months old and they have barely gone through 1/2 a 5 lb bag in the last 3 months. I also provide free choice crushed egg shells and that doesn't go very fast either. I started keepng egg shells before they started laying for calcium. I expect the grit to last me for the rest of the year for the 4 hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by