How much heat?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mochicken, May 8, 2011.

1. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I got 10 chicks today, not really sure of their age but they are still small lil fluff balls lol.

They were under a heat light in the store but it was about 2 1/2 feet above them and didnt seem like it was too warm to me, not sure what bulb it was.

I built them a "brooder" today as I did not have one already, it is 26" long, 24" wide, and 13" deep with a top that has a 16x13 opening covered in chicken wire that the heat light fixture is resting on.

I forgot to pick up a red heat light today so am trying to get by for tonight until I can pick one up tomorrow, what is the correct wattage bulb to use? I have 40's 60's 75's and 100's. I know they like to be warm but I didnt want to be too hot for them or God forbid start a fire overnight, they are in our dining room.

2. GiddyMoon

GiddyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    You don't state how cold your house gets. We get in the low 60s..I use a 60 watt amber bulb about a foot off of them and it has been working great

3. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    Yeah sorry, no AC here tonight so it will probably only get to 70 at the coolest, probably more like 74-76, we are running fans in our bedroom but just still air in the dining room where the chicks are.

I have a thermometer in there now to check the temps and at the side about 12" away from direct light it is 82 degrees

Last edited: May 8, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by