HOW MUCH HUMIDITY AT DAY 19??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chick_newbie, May 11, 2009.

1. chick_newbie

chick_newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    South Dakota
    I am on day 19 of my second attempt this year. last time the furnace kicked in during the night and zapped the humidity so I moved them into another room and am trying again. During the incubation it ran about 20%. I have gotten it up to 55% yesterday and 65% today by putting a dish with a paper towel out of it. Is this going to be enough humidity for them to hatch? I need to get this right so that next week when I do this for someone else I know that I have everything right.

2. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    I've only hatched once, so I'm by no means an expert.... My humidity ran about 55 - 60% during hatching. When the chicks began to hatch, it got higher, as expected. 20% seems a bit low for the incubation, it should be around 35-45%. I don't know how that will affect them. Good luck on the hatch!

3. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Just about as much as you can manage. 60-70% is not too much.

4. chick_newbie

chick_newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    South Dakota
    Great I am running 68% right now but will probably drop a touch from evaporation.

As to the incuabtion phase, I was advised last year that you didn't HAVE to maintain a higher humidity as long as you raised it for hatching. Anyone else know?????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by