How much is 800 mg?

You need to figure out the concentration of the drug you are trying to administer. No drugs come in pure form and all have some sort of filler.

If you could post verbatim the instructions on the package, maybe we can help. The volume of different drugs is different because they can have different densities.

Generally, your drug packet will have x amount in a total weight of y amount. Thus to make a working solution, you make a stock and dilute from there.

What are you trying to treat? By those numbers my guess is a type of terramycin? Make sure you are treating something bacterial in nature and that there is a risk else you may render the drug ineffective when you need it.

It is terramycin.

The directions in the table for chickens (there is a whole list for other livestock) says add 400-800 mg per gallon of drinking water, unless I am reading this totally wrong because at the top of the table it says packs/2 gallon dosage.

The chickens have a regular hanging waterer. I just need to mix in the meds with 1 gallon of water.

There is a bacterial infection in the flock, and the package indications contain the disease.

Thanks!

Here is a link to the product info:
http://www.pfizerah.com/PAHimages/compliance_pdfs/US_EN_TW_compliance.pdf

Last edited:
That one is real tough to dose, as 1 gram equals 1000 milligrams. If each packet contains 10 grams of medicine, 1/10 of a packet would contain 1 gram of medicine. As you need a 400-800 mg dose, you can only deal in approximates with a powdered medicine. I'm afraid the closest you may get is using 1/10 of a packet to a gal. of water to equal 1000 mg. Yes, a little more than recommended but I don't think this will be a problem as you have such a range of effective dosages. You can also use 1/20 of a packet to achieve a more middle of the range dose at 500 mg. Good luck trying to separate 1/20th of a packet! This appears to be packaged for large groups of animals and not for a small flock.

You could also call your local vet and see what they recommend as a safe dosage.

Ack! I just noticed it said the pack contains 10 g of the actual drug. Duh!
tongue.png

Dang it... I was totally way underdosing. I new something was wrong.

Thank you!

Last edited:
I think you could mix the 10gm. (12.5 800mg. doses) pack into 12.5 oz. water to make 10, 1.25 oz. 800 mg doses. So, ~2.25 tablespoons per gallon?
Double the amount of water for 400mg/gal.

Last edited:
I read it as this.....each pack contains 10g of antibiotic. Dosage is .4-.8g of antibiotic or about 1/20 pack of powder to 2gal of water....or put entire package into 10-20 gal of water and mix.

I just got back from the feed store to buy terramycin and the guy there told me to put a teaspoon in each gallon of water. Hope that helps!

Back
Top Bottom