How much Is a fair price for two leghorn hens?

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by missfitch, Mar 26, 2009.

1. missfitch

missfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Marysville Ohio
    They are two leghorn hens 1yr old and raised by friends, they havent said a price and we are wondering what would be fair to offer. We live in Marysville Ohio if that makes a difference, Thanks for your time!!!

2. Darin115

Darin115 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Asheboro, NC
    I bought white leghorn pullets last year for $5.00 each at 20 weeks old. That may hurt their feelings but I would not offer more than $7.00 per hen.

Darin

3. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    What are they offering you to take them??? yuk yuk yuk. Just kidding they are laying son of a guns, I just didn't like mine all that much, many folks enjoy them a lot and they can lay.

It really depends on where you are. Here young layers of any kind are bringing 10-15 dollars. I think leghorns would be no exception. If they have gone through the first molt it would be less.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  4. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Quote:This is the same price layers would go for in my area too.

5. missfitch

Mar 23, 2009
    Marysville Ohio
    Thanks everyone, I am new to this and I dont want to insult them but I dont want to overpay becuase I could start some chicks still, Ohio is hard to find chickens in right now (and I dont want to buy from a hatchery)
    Thanks!!!

6. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    If they're one year old they are at the prime of laying but on their way down... keep that in mind. Ask the sellers what they think a good price would be and if it's too high ho from there. $5 was suggested earlier; that seems like a good price.

7. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    I've bought 9 month old hens here in Ohio for $10-15. I look for quality birds in heritage breeds. To me a Leghorn is a common bird that I wouldn't be interested in breeding and my customers want brown eggs (not white), so I personally wouldn't pay more than $8.

8. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
  9. missfitch

Mar 23, 2009
    Marysville Ohio
    I have 7 bantam babies 2-3 weeks old, they cant go out for a while but thats why I am looking at the leghorns, they are smaller but could give me a good amount of eggs now. No roosters so were just in it for pets with a plus (eggs!!!) I have heard of a bantam leghorn but cant find any. I'm hoping that they will tell me what they think is fair but I think 7-8 dollars a piece is the most I would offer. If you know any other bantams or small hens that are good producers let me know. THANKS!![​IMG]

10. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    When it comes to laying hens. Expecially white egg layers. I wouldnt pay no more then $8 each for them. I would expect a price range of around $5-$8 ..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by