1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how much is "chicken sitting" worth?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by fzouk, Dec 14, 2011.

1. fzouk

fzouk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    middle Tennessee
    I'm going out of town for Christmas and since none of my friends in the past have proved reliable, I decided to find some trust worthy young person through the co-op and pay them to come once a day. Trouble is I can't decide how much to pay! It will be 8 days. I was kind of thinking $40 ish- is that cheap of me? What do you guys think?

Thank you!

2. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

What would you be expecting them to do?
    -clean the coop
    -feed them
    -give them fresh water
    -hold them
    -e.t.c[​IMG]

3. triplepurpose

triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    Totally depends what that job will entail, and also how far they will have to drive/walk/ride to go to your place, etc., etc.

I'm afraid you'd have to be more specific if you want us to be specific... [​IMG]

4. roxyblue

roxyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    When I am going out of town for a week or so I only expect the people taking care of the girls to do two things. Feed them and water them. The rest I do before hand. Most of the time I am able to find somone that will do it just for the eggs.

5. TroutsChicks

TroutsChicks Fluffy Stuffins

Jun 5, 2011
    baxter Tn
    I am in middle tn where are you? close to cookeville?

6. bleith

bleith Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    West Dundee IL
    As bench mark, I pay $10 a day. That also includes a dog

7. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    It all depends on much you will have them do. When I was looking for a "chicken sitter", I had someone come out to my house and I explained to her what all she would have to do and she quoted me a price of $75.00 a day. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Well, let's just say I didn't call her back for a repeat visit.

8. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    I would not ask someone to clean the coop or socialize the chickens, etc. It IS the holidays and if I was sitting, I would charge for my time for these things because that's time I'm not spending with my family or relaxing the way I choose to.

Feeding/watering/collecting once a day is probably worth the value in eggs (depending on your layers). Coming twice a day to let them out into the run & lock up, probably financial compensation is in order.

My friend and I are having someone sit for our cats & chickens over the extended Xmas weekend. We are offering $5 per day for him to come feed, water and scoop cat boxes. This basically covers his gas expense. We're graduate students so we give what we can, but he understands it is not a financial compensation.

9. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    I have a pretty great situation. The woman who was my chicken mentor also happens to be a neighbour AND an ornithologist. She charges $10 for a half hour chicken visit, or $25/day to stay at the house and look after all our animals. I have a very sweet deal.

10. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:How many animals do you have total?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by