1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How Much Is Normal

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by REINABUGY, Nov 24, 2009.

1. REINABUGY

REINABUGY Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2009
    Upstate New York
    I have 52 chicks that are 4 weeks old. they have been eating a 7lb feeder full of food a day. Is that normal???

2. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    [​IMG] wow thats alot of chicks..are they wasting any?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  3. REINABUGY

Jun 15, 2009
    Upstate New York
    I really dont think that they are. But it does seem like a lot of feed. My bigger girls dont even eat that much.

4. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    well if they are not wasting it then I guess its fine!

5. 52 birds will go through a BUNCH off feed. They are more than likely wasting a good portion of it though.

Start mixing in poultry grain with you feed. This will give them some "grit" and something that takes a bit

to digest. Be sure you have PLENTY of fresh water on hand. I am sure they are slurping through the water.

Good Luck with your flock. We did this about 2 years ago and have about a third of the original birds.

We now have a good number of their off spring and a few new ones. We started Adding Guineas about

a year ago and I now have a 60/40 mixture of birds, hen chickens over Guinea and roos.

[​IMG]

6. REINABUGY

Jun 15, 2009
    Upstate New York
    Yeah they drink a lot of water to about 3.5 gallon waterer in 1 day and a half. i have to fill the feeder every day. Will the grain be ok for 4 week olds. they are on medicated chick starter.

7. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Are these broiler chicks, laying or dual purpose breed? . . . a mix?

52 broiler chicks at 4 weeks will eat about 8.5 pounds of feed each day.

If'n I did my math right [​IMG]. University of Missouri

(If you give grain you will need to provide them with rock grit. )

Steve

8. REINABUGY

Jun 15, 2009
    Upstate New York
    No they are not broilers. They are the normal egg layers from MPC. The rainbow package.

9. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    That really isn't an excessive amount of feed for 52 chicks unless you see evidence of wasted feed on the ground. Poultry grains aren't "grit" and if they elect not to eat it they will bill it out of the way thereby resulting in wasted feed. If you do elect to feed grains you will want to provide actual grit.

10. REINABUGY

Jun 15, 2009
    Upstate New York
    When should I start giving them grit. Should I wait until after I take them off starter at 16 weeks?[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by