how much is shipping for hatching eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenbottom, Nov 17, 2009.

1. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    what is the normal shipping costs of hatching eggs like a box of 18 normal sized eggs

2. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    You can generally get those in the flat rate box at the PO using Priority Mail for $12.95.

I think it may be best that way for over a dozen.

3. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    Depends on weight of box & zip code (where they are coming from). Priority or Express? It costs me around $17 to ship a box of that many smaller eggs from MD to CA. I can ship 12 Silkie eggs to Ny or NC for about $8-$9. This is for Priority (2-3 day), Express would be much more. [​IMG]

4. ChooksChick

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Also, many times sellers will tack on a couple of bucks more for materials- I wrap mine in foam or bubble wrap individually and then use packing tape to secure them to each other, surrounding them with shredded paper or other soft packing material- to the point where no shifting will occur inside no matter how the box is tossed. The bubble wrap and packing tape add up if you ship a lot.

Most folks will just charge a flat $14 or so to make up that little cost for materials.

5. chickenbottom

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    what about for a dozen im just starting to get into selling eggs im selling dozens but who ever buys them will recieve 18 as a precaution.

6. chickenbottom

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    Quote:okay i can do that that would be pretty easy

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Unless you use the the flat rate boxes there's no way to give you an exact amount.

8. chickenbottom

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    Quote:thanks thats very helpful

9. ChooksChick

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    You might be able to safely ship a dozen in a smaller flat rate box, or if you go online, USPS.com, they will ship you the Priority boxes for free- I think the smaller box may be around $8 to ship flat rate.

If you're selling your eggs, most people will expect to pay $10-14 for a dozen in shipping. Some sellers will bump up the price by around that much and say, "Shipping Included." I have bought similar eggs for $6, $12 shipping- AND for $18, shipping included. It's all how you want to present the price. Also if you're selling on ebay and letting the auction settle the price, I would consider $13-15 a fair shipping rate for a dozen or 18 eggs. You'll be able to go flat rate on those.

10. chickenbottom

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    Quote:i most likely will be using the flat rate boxes i see them on tv and i could do that easily

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by