1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How much is this BR cockeral worth?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Happy Chooks, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    He is 10 weeks old and I hatched him from Bargains stock, and we were going to give him a trip to freezer camp. I thought yesterday that he's really nice looking and I might be able to sell him to someone wanting to breed BR's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry if this is in the wrong area, I wasn't sure where to put it.

Thanks!

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I'd give ya $3 for him. [​IMG]

3. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    His comb has too many points, and will either lay over or have a "thumb print". He lacks the breadth for a bird developing for show. He is handsome but he's a pet or meat bird. He's hatchery quality if nice looking for it. You won't get for him what you spend in feed getting him to anything beyond 20-24 weeks, which is when you can figure on 4-7 dollars per bird for someone else's freezer camp, or pet. Boys tend to be a dime a dozen. Everyone ends up with too many.

4. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:He's not from a hatchery, I ordered the eggs from bargain's flock.

So what I'm gathering, he's not show quality or breeder quality. Looks like he gets a trip to the freezer then.

5. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    I'm sorry [​IMG] I missed your mention of him being Bargains... but yes, that comb won't win any shows. Bargain's explains the nice barring on him.

6. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Thanks for explaining, I'm not trying to argue, just trying to make an informed decision here.

There's a post on craigslist for someone wanting a BR rooster for their hens near me. Would he be worth around $15-20? I just don't want to reply to the person (and look like an idiot) if I'm way off base here.

I just figured that if I got around $20 for him, then I basically paid for all the eggs I incubated and hatched. (not including electricity, feed and care of course) I'm not opposed to processing him, but if I can get that much for him, he's worth more alive to me. If not, then he has an invitation to dinner as I don't have a need for a BR roo.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2010
  7. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    His barring is too coarse and irregular giving him an all over too light colour. As well as the faults other have mentioned he also has far too much dark pigment in his shanks.
    He is worth what ever you can get for him .
    David

8. PrinceSandwich

PrinceSandwich Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    I bought 5, 1 day old Barred rock roosters for $2 lol

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  9. FluffyChic

FluffyChic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2010
    Monroe, NC
    I just bought a BR Roo off of Craigs List for $5. He was 8mos old. I've seen them listed around here for up to $10. I don't know if they are worth more in CA though.

10. karabbitry

karabbitry Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    What he is worth depends a lot on the area. For the bird in question there is no way I could sell him in my feed store for more than $10.00. If he were older maybe a couple of dollars more, so $12. But that is all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by