How much is too much food?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by my5hens, Apr 6, 2011.

1. my5hens

my5hens Chirping

Jan 17, 2011
    I am worried about over feeding my hens. I have 5 RIRs and they always seem to be hungry. I dont mind feeding them but I also heard hens can have a heart attack.

Thanks!

Laura

2. hennyannie

hennyannie Songster

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    I feed my hens free choice all the time plus any treat I can come up with. They will always run to the feeder when I fill it or act like they are starving when i put out treats, but they are not going to eat more than they can handle. Are you keeping feed out for them all the time?

3. my5hens

my5hens Chirping

Jan 17, 2011
    Yes I do keep their food out for them at all times and I frequently check on their water throughout the day to make sure its still clean. I have them on a chicken feed and then I give them fresh grass which they go nuts over! lol!

Laura

4. mons02035

mons02035 Chirping

Aug 4, 2010
    Carmel, Maine
    Free choice food and water.

I have 5 RIR's as well and I throw a couple handfulls of scratch mixed with BOSS down for them everyday. I average 4 eggs a day and they are happy and healthy.

5. thixen

thixen Hatching

Apr 7, 2011
    You should always free choice feed your chickens. Chickens as with most birds have a high metabolism which means that they will often graze all day here and there. They will not over eat however. It's the Nutritional balance of the feed that’s important and sure they will always come for a treat (wouldn’t you)? The best way to tell if your chickens need more food is to look at their normal bulk feeder. If it’s empty then they need more ^_^

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  6. Lesa

Lesa Songster

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    You might be remembering the heart attack thing, in reference to the "meaties". They really can eat to excess (and thus their incredibly fast growth.) Your birds should have food available all day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: