1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how much is too much humidity

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by prettyboy88, Mar 11, 2013.

1. prettyboy88

prettyboy88 New Egg

Jun 11, 2012
    started to turn on the incubators tonight and one humidity is 87 and one is 80. a friend of mine has hatched out of the type of incubator i have and he got 7 out of 7 hatched. at the start he filled up the whole bottom of incubator with water and that got his humidity up. im just trying to find out how much is too much humidity. thanks yall

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Assuming your hygrometers are reading accurately, that is too high for the first 18 days. I would calibrate the hygrometer first using the salt test (1/2 cup sale, 1/4 cup water, mix together in a mug to form a sludge. Place mug in a ziploc bag, place hygrometer in the same bag (not in the mug), then seal the bag and leave it for 24 hours. At the end of that time it should be reading 75. If it is higher or lower than that, you will know how much it is off and can then adjust accordingly).

3. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    30-50% for the first 18. 50-80% last 3 days. roughly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by