How much is too Much ....regarding nutritional treats?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by GretaGarboFirst, Feb 23, 2015.

1. GretaGarboFirst

GretaGarboFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2013
    Massachusetts
    I have 5 hens who are 9 months old. I feed then pellet food each day. I also feed them fruits and vegetables. My question is about how much fruits and vegetables can I offer them daily?. I give them a cereal bowl full each day currently....it vanishes quickly!

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Sounds like you are doing OK. A general rule of thumb is to not give them more than they can clean up in 10 to 20 minutes. Their feed is a balanced diet and chickens need a balanced diet, like you, me and everyone else. Too much of a good thing is not a good thing if it throws their system out of balance.

Do I follow that rule myself? Not really. When I can something or have waste from the garden they can wind up with more than they can finish immediately. But I don’t give them large quantities of the same thing day after day but mix it up quite a bit. That way they can splurge occasionally without it really affecting their overall health.

3. GretaGarboFirst

GretaGarboFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Thanks so much...very helpful. Stay warm ....it is 5 degrees in Massachusetts today with 4 ft. of accumulated snow in my yard.

4. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    I agree. My girls useally eat their treats, (Breakfast scraps and egg shells) in about 2-3 minutes. I also feed my chickens black solger flys, compost, pumpkins, and a few other things. Here's an article on treats for chickens: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/treats-for-chickens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by