How much is too much sun for whites?

Sorry, cannot answer your question. But never thought about sun exposure effecting feather color. It does make sense, everything can be faded by the sun. Assume you mean that the sun bleaches the color, or do you mean it will darken or yellow the white?

It's bl
Sorry, cannot answer your question.  But never thought about sun exposure effecting feather color.  It does make sense, everything can be faded by the sun.  Assume you mean that the sun bleaches the color, or do you mean it will darken or yellow the white?
it will make them brassy and yellow

Here's an example. He is not a show bird thank goodness because
loves the sun

Letting my white Wyandotte bantam show pair range today in the sun/shade. Don want to ruin their white..how long is too much exposure?
It depends on the genetic formula of your variety. For instance breeds which have "Light" varieties built on the eb allele will get brassy tint to
the white parts in the sunlight. Breeds which have "Light" varieties built on the eWh allele will not. What is the genetic formula for your birds?
Find it and ask a geneics expert like Marvin ( nicalandia)here on BYC.
Best,
Karen

I don't think that there is a definite "too long". It depends on the individual bird. None of my white birds have ever become brassy, even though they go out into a run regularly (albeit, the run is covered, but lots of light still filters in). But, I see a lot of yellow white birds, so it is certainly possible.

I don't think that there is a definite "too long". It depends on the individual bird. None of my white birds have ever become brassy, even though they go out into a run regularly (albeit, the run is covered, but lots of light still filters in). But, I see a lot of yellow white birds, so it is certainly possible.
Agreed.

Back
Top Bottom