1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How much is too much sun for whites?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ChelseysChicken, Nov 29, 2014.

1. ChelseysChicken

ChelseysChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2013
    North TX
    Letting my white Wyandotte bantam show pair range today in the sun/shade. Don want to ruin their white..how long is too much exposure?

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Sorry, cannot answer your question. But never thought about sun exposure effecting feather color. It does make sense, everything can be faded by the sun. Assume you mean that the sun bleaches the color, or do you mean it will darken or yellow the white?

3. ChelseysChicken

Jun 1, 2013
    North TX
    It's bl
    it will make them brassy and yellow

4. ChelseysChicken

Jun 1, 2013
    North TX
    Here's an example. He is not a show bird thank goodness because[​IMG] loves the sun

5. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    interesting.

hope someone who shows will reply.

6. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    It depends on the genetic formula of your variety. For instance breeds which have "Light" varieties built on the eb allele will get brassy tint to
    the white parts in the sunlight. Breeds which have "Light" varieties built on the eWh allele will not. What is the genetic formula for your birds?
    Find it and ask a geneics expert like Marvin ( nicalandia)here on BYC.
    Best,
    Karen

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I don't think that there is a definite "too long". It depends on the individual bird. None of my white birds have ever become brassy, even though they go out into a run regularly (albeit, the run is covered, but lots of light still filters in). But, I see a lot of yellow white birds, so it is certainly possible.

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by