How much is too much ??

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by invalidsession, Feb 2, 2009.

1. invalidsession

invalidsession Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2008
    I contacted a local hatchery here in MO last week regarding the purchase of fifteen Buff Orpington pullets. While they were unable to help me they did recomend another local person who has the birds and wants $6.50 each for them.
    Here's my quandary, I was chatting with a local farmer yesterday and he thought that $6.50 was very expensive, what do you more knowlegable folks think ?
    Money is tight all around right now and i'd not like to spend more than necessary.
    Thanks all,

Chris.

2. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    That's expensive to me, too for day olds. Especially when tractor supply co., etc. will be getting some in from hatcheries and you can get them quite a bit cheaper. Ideal is cheap, too, but thenyou have to pay shipping. A local farm here charges about the same for chicks and I had my head handed to me on a silver platter when I commented on the local group that those prices were steep for me for a nothing special breed day old chick. [​IMG]

3. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    how old are they?

are they hatchery quality, show quality?

also, supply and demand will dictate pricing also.

[​IMG]

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

If their Point of lay pullets then I would pay $6.50, but if they are day old chicks, then that is way to much, depending if they come from show quality stock.

5. invalidsession

invalidsession Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2008
    Quote:IIRC, the birds are ten weeks old.
    The local farmer was unfamiliar with B O's, but reckons to pay around $2-3 each from Orschelns in march.

6. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    You did not mention how old those golden chickens were..

there is not a shortage of chickens, so supply and demand does not fit into this equasion.

If they are over 2 months old, then maybe.. around here that is still high though.. I can pick up 6 month old chickens for $5/ea..

You cannot tell if a chick is show quality.. It is only potential.

I would say keep looking..

try craigslist or go to your local feed store and check out their bulletin board..

7. michelle1017

michelle1017 Goat Mama

Aug 21, 2008
    Missouri
    Hi! It's me, your friend to the north! That isn't a bad price at that age, but I was going to say it depends on what you want. Orscheln's will have day olds for a few dollars in the spring. It just depends on how anxious you are to have them start laying. We bought day olds and then also purchased some layers from an individual. I believe we paid like 7 or 8 dollars for them.

8. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Quote:IIRC, the birds are ten weeks old.
    The local farmer was unfamiliar with B O's, but reckons to pay around $2-3 each from Orschelns in march.

Okay, I might consider paying that for ten week olds. Most of the brooding is done, they've fed them for 10 weeks (which adds up with standard birds). I thought you were referring to day olds. $6.50 for ten week olds is something I would definitely consider.

9. NoelTate

NoelTate Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    Mobile, AL
    Adult chickens down here (Mobile area) are running $10-$15, so I think 6.50 for a 10 week old is fairly reasonable. Maybe not great, but reasonable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by