how much is too much ?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MamaChic21, Dec 20, 2010.

1. MamaChic21

MamaChic21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    After along 3 months of thinking and planning, we finally came across something that fits the chicken/duck and our needs. Dog kennels that has a run and a coop attached and we were thinking of putting some heavy duty wheels on them so we can change the location every season. In addition to the closed run with a platform, we were thinking of making a second run approx 10x14 with bare floors (grass) and roof that is covered by chicken wire, due to predators. BUT, we asked a friend that builds houses, he said it will cost roughly about $5-6,00 that is without the second run ! I've searched the internet and came upon this dog kennel for $3,930 but even that is too much, I think ! So how much is too much spending on chicken coop/run ?
    Some say you can't make it portable cause it's too heavy but I've seen alot of 10x16portable sheds, so if that can work, why can't this one ? Am I being unrealistic ? Here are some links on what I'm talking about;
    http://www.mysheds.net/dog-kennels.asp#dogkennels 10x16 $3,930

http://www.mysheds.net/gallery.asp?G=23&Image=379 8x10 close to $3,000

http://www.atalarahsap.com/kopek-kulubesi.aspx the second row, 2nd one don't know how much that is.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Were you planning on hiring someone to build the moveable coop for you? In which case, yeah, it could go $5000. That is the price of buying readymade, especially if you want custom-built readymade... you are paying for someone's time and labor, right?

But if you are going to do it yourself, and there is really no big reason not to, the materials cost certainly needn't be anything like that high. (Unless you get all "I want it the way I want it" about it)

Your biggest cost will be in buying a vehicle to pull it [​IMG] Seriously, I do not think you are going to be moving a solidly-enclosed-in-lumber 10x14 structure anywhere by hand! Certainly not without some really clever engineering (remember it must be *rigid* and *predatorproof* in addition to lightweight)

I would seriously, seriously advise looking up materials weight tables (google) and estimating the gross weight of what you are contemplating building. This is often an eye-opening and plan-changing step too often neglected by BYCers and all too often changing what was INTENDED to be a portable coop or tractor into a de-facto permanent coop [​IMG]

As for "how much is too much to spend", that's totally up to your tastes and financial circumstances, nobody's business but yours [​IMG]

Pat

3. montanasandy

montanasandy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Potomac, Montana
    [​IMG]

We built this ourselves for around $1,500 total. You can see more pics on my page. The coop is 9x5 and the run is 16x8. It is stationary though.

4. MamaChic21

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    We were going to hire someone my husband knew, and thought he might give us a little break ! My husband works 6 days a week and he is not handy, at all !!! I'm the only one who can, but considering it's winter plus 2 young children, I don't know when I'll be done. It took me 2 weeks to build 4x3 coop with 2 floors and that was during the summer. When I do find something, the price is ok but then learn it can't be portable ! I know I can't have everything I'm looking for. But all I'm asking is for them to have that platform so it won't accumilate mud during the winter. The second run can have grass. I would love to have a permanet place for them but if you've seen my BYC you'll know why I can't. Hill, sun, wind, distance to the house.
    At least with the coop and run being portable, I was thinking they'll get fresh grass always, and I could put them closer during the winter and further in the summer. I am so confused and lost [​IMG]

5. RareBreedFancier

RareBreedFancier Surrounded by Broodies

Nov 5, 2010
    Australia :)
    I just wanted to say WOW!!! I have NEVER seen a dog kennel/run like those!!![​IMG]
    They look lovely if you have the money. Don't show my chickies though, they will feel like hobo's. [​IMG] (my 600 square foot coop and pen has cost under $35!)

I have to say, unless you have a tractor to pull those coops I do not see how you are going to move them. They are going to weigh a ton!

6. swimmer

swimmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    We hired a handy man to build ours. He was out of work. You might want to look around for someone that could build you one. You'd get it for much less, plus get exactly what you want. We have a 5x5 coop with a 10x5 attached/covered run. The total cost was $500. That was with labor plus materials.

7. MamaChic21

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    [​IMG] I know right ! My plain dog house looks, plain compared to these dog house/kennels.

I might have to find someone to help me [​IMG].

[​IMG] human tractor, that's another issue, we don't even have a lawnmotor ! Spring and summer time, landscape guys come over once a week to cut grass for us.
    Overall, I have to give up something and that could be like portable side of it and having this sort of dog house/kennel to a permanent location for them, or give up the design and make a smaller portable coop/run, UGH !!! [​IMG]

Sandy, your coop and run looks absolutely FANTASTIC [​IMG]

8. MamaChic21

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
  9. annaraven

annaraven Born this way

Apr 15, 2010
    SillyCon Valley
    Well I'm sure it's portable, for some definition of portable. Portable, as in, you could haul it somewhere if you had to, like if you were moving... And you'd have the "temporary structure" exemption from zoning and building permits, I guess... But if it meets your needs, and you can afford it, go for it! You can just explain that the first egg cost $5000 and the rest were free... [​IMG]

10. MamaChic21

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] you're toooo funny [​IMG]

Holly Cr... I have to check out to see what am I allowed as size wise without a permit. I think if I'm not mistaken, in our town, if it exceeds 8x8 I need a permit, not sure and gotta check that out. When does raising chickens for the love of it became so complicated and stressful ???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by