1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how much is too much?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by srfjeld, Jul 8, 2011.

1. srfjeld

srfjeld Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Portland
    My chickies, 7 and 10 weeks, just came off a 10 day round of Sulmet (low dose) a few days ago b/c I lost one of my girls almost 2 weeks ago from what I suspected was cocci. This morning I noticed one of my older girls came out of the coop having quite a few bloody stools, and not shedding of the intestinal lining. So, I am starting them all over again on 2 days of the strong dose of Sulmet (tsp and a half per qt) followed by 8 days of the low dose. Is this too much? I mean, even if it is, she and all of them need to be treated, right? So I don't see how I have much choice.

Anyone else ever had to do this?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    There are different stains of cocci out there and many times the meds don't cover each strain. But I would think you have no choice at this point. It wouldn't hurt to add probiotics to their water after all the antibiotics. You can use a product called Probios, you can get it on Amazon and they will ship priority immediately.

As for the dosage, I would stick to the proper amount since they have already had a round of it in their system. But I am not sure about this. Maybe for the first day you could increase the amount.

Cocci is hard to treat. I had a female quail once with it that no matter what I dosed her with, she still kept up with the bloody poo's. She started to "starve out" and not eat so I had to keep forcing food on her. But she eventually quit with the cocci and did survive. Not the healthiest specimen, but she is alive and doing well. I think some chickens are just weaker than others and have a hard time with cocci.

Good luck with your babies! [​IMG]

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Sulmet is not supposed to be used in excess of 6 days, this includes the sulmet liquid and soluable powder. Excessive dosage may cause toxic reactions. If it's not working, use Corid.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Switch if it is not working. If it is only one hen in a different pen, you only need to treat that one pen. If it is only one hen and the rest are fine, she likly has other issues making her weaker and thus not able to combat cocci. Most can tolerate a low level of it as it is everywhere anyway.

5. srfjeld

May 13, 2011
    Portland
    I can't find Corid anywhere around here. I'd definitely have to order it but don't have the money. I thought I read on the bottle, and elsewhere on this site, that they should do 10 days... two at full strength and 8 and half that dose. Well, I'll split the difference. I think it could be stress related. The just spent their first night in the coop 2 nights ago. She's otherwise healthy in every way. I thought this chicken thing was going to be easy but it seems it's nothing but work. Already lost 2 and spent sooooo much money on them. These are going to be the most expensive eggs in the world, if we ever get that far. Oh, and I'm starting to think the one that's sick might be a roo. oh boy.

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I am so sorry you are having so much trouble. You won't lose them all, so just hang in there. I have had birds recuperate from things I thought for sure was going to kill them. Give it time and I wish you all the luck with your chickens. [​IMG]

7. srfjeld

May 13, 2011
    Portland
    Thank you so much for your kind words, twocrows. It helps. [​IMG]

8. zookeeper15133

zookeeper15133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    SW PA
    Sulmet is hard on them to begin with.

Imagine your intestines after taking a few aspirin every 4 hours for weeks on end. Or what happens when you take several courses of antibiotics. (Yeast infections)

Yes, Corrid is expensive, but you will have enough for a very long time! Corrid is not an antibiotic. It is a protein blocker, it makes it so the cocci can't grow inside the chicken.

Try some yogurt, sulmet not only kills the cocci, but the good stuff to. If you have any probiotics give them to her also. They don't have to be for chickens, people, dogs whatever. What I have for my grandson is called Florastore Kids.

Cocci thrives in damp bedding. Being in a new dry coop should help.
    Good luck!

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Jefferslivestock.com has the Corid 20% soluable powder for about $16. It can be ordered online or they can be called.

10. srfjeld

May 13, 2011
    Portland
    I was feeling pretty hopeful all day bc she was her typical energetic self... eating, drinking, pecking, free ranging, running about, etc. But, I just went out to see if the girls went up on their own tonight and saw that she was sitting in a corner with her head down and tail feathers down... and she was a bit fluffed up. I just lost a girl 2 weeks ago, and I can't take losing another one. This totally sucks! I'm really starting to regret my decision to get chickens. They are more than egg-layers. They are pets that I've grown to care about. I'm so upset right now. I hope I'm just overreacting and that maybe she was just really tired and hunkering down for the evening (even though the other girls weren't). I had to put them up in the coop again tonight (3rd night out there). I put the medicated water in with them and I noticed that she drank some so that is good. I hope she's her perky self in the morning. Maybe she was just worn out from a big day of free ranging.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by