How Much Is Too Much

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickencoop789, Sep 26, 2012.

1. chickencoop789

chickencoop789 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2012
    New Jersey
    Ive been giving my girls treats every day and I dont want them getting fat. I was wondering how much treats is too much?

2. canesisters

canesisters Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2011
    Virginia
    I give my flock treats every day. Usually a cup of mixed seed and whatever leftover from the fridge that is starting to get scary.
    As long as you're not giving them so much that they aren't eating their usual feed, I see any reason not to do it.
    I figure that it keeps them looking for me and running to me when they see me - that just may come in handy one day. [​IMG]

3. Tigertrea

Tigertrea Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2012
    LaSalle Ontario Canada
    I feed greens daily as well as fridge clean out stuff. I figure, I will keep an eye on them and, if they start to get fat I'll cut down the "treats". I also feed a lot more extras in the summer than I will in the winter. In the summer they get a lot of my garden cast off stuff as well as greens from root veggies (carrot, beet, turnip, radish) that I obviously won't have as much of over the winter. I am actually trying to put a little extra on them right now for "winter padding". I'm keeping a fairly close eye on them though.

4. Hamatt

Hamatt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2012
    UPSIDEDOWN IN MID AIR
    I give my girls treats like apple cores and carrots daily. What i say is the more fat the more cute.[​IMG]

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I think it depends on what you are feeding them as treats. Fruit and veggies and other greens is food for chickens. Things like bread and porridge I'd say go easy on, as that can make them fat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by