how much layer?

qtmomo112

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 12, 2012
Bahamas
ok every where i look i get a different answer. how much layer pellets per chicken per day? ive also read just to have them free feed but thats not really an opition for me because of where i live and the critters that come to eat it all in the night. any adivce on how much? thanks

You could try portion feeding. What you do is feed 3/4s of what the daily recommended amount is. They should clean this up by the afternoon. In the afternoon feed the rest of the days food. If they clean it up before they roost adjust the next afternoons feeding with a little more, if they leave some next afternoon a little less. By watching how much they eat to clean it up with say only a bit left you will find out how much to put in the feeder each morning. Should work on most any flock. That way you don't have to know the average LF eats 1/4 lbs. a day. You know how much your flock eats. Just check once and a while to see how soon they clean the feeder out, adjustments may be needed.

So many questions about using a deer feeder. Can the deer feeder be set to put out the right amount. And I think you'd want if to drop in a pan or something so you could clean it up if the chickens don't so the other critters don't. Still that could be made to work. The tinkerer in me wants to run out and get one to try.

So many questions about using a deer feeder. Can the deer feeder be set to put out the right amount. And I think you'd want if to drop in a pan or something so you could clean it up if the chickens don't so the other critters don't. Still that could be made to work. The tinkerer in me wants to run out and get one to try.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/634492/home-made-bulk-feeders
see post #3 for someone's disabled one used as a simple container

Read both of those threads. Using the bin for a drop thru storage is a neat idea. The problem of unwanted dinner guests of the OP concern makes the control of the amount available necessary. Modifying the lenght of time and thus the amount of feed released is then important. Disabling the spreader or controlling it would make it easier to keep the feed off the ground to be picked up if needed. Think I'll go lay in the hammock and let lazy man talk the tinker out of doing it, because accountant says we don't need it and its not in the budget. And well its to nice a spring day in this winter in PA.

Back
Top Bottom