How much lice is too much lice?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by scarletbaby, Jan 6, 2011.

1. scarletbaby

scarletbaby Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2010
    I've found what i think is chicken lice around the vent area on a couple of chickens. I dont see them anywhere else on their bodies and they dont seem sick so my question is, is there an acceptable amount of lice they can have on their bodies? Kinda like how dogs can have some fleas on them without it being a problem. A couple of my chickens don't have any around their vent area.

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Yes a few parasites won't hurt a chicken, but the population probably can and will explode making it a much harder problem to deal with. Lice and mites also live in the coop, in the bedding, cracks etc. Here's some info about lice & mites:

http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

Imp

3. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I would get rid of the little beatsies now before they multiply and cause you and youu birds great grief.
    JJ

4. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    Quote:I second that.

5. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

One louse is too many.

6. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    Yes, I agree ONE LOUSE is TOO MANY. They can and will explode in population and then you will have a larger problem.

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Ditto.

8. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Quote:Ditto.

I agree - but - most chicken keepers battle this at one time or another, or battle it thru the year. Wild birds visiting your yard can and do drop a louse here and there. So just be prepared and check often. [​IMG]

9. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Vent area is also probably the worst place to have lice. One is one too many! [​IMG]

10. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    HorseF: I agree - but - most chicken keepers battle this at one time or another, or battle it thru the year. Wild birds visiting your yard can and do drop a louse here and there. So just be prepared and check often.

Yes, if you own chickens long enough, eventually, you will battle lice or mites. For me, it was mites during a Winter (a January/February) several years ago & it took a mammoth effort to get rid of them. In the Fall, I have flocks of wild birds from all over the place everywhere so you do have to check. Always check the roosters first because they are a little less fastidious than the hens & they will always be alflicted. I also remember it being a very wet/damp time span.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by