How much light do babies need?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AuburnChickenNewbies, Apr 8, 2011.

1. AuburnChickenNewbies

AuburnChickenNewbies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    First thing in the morning we're setting up the brooder and hopefully getting chick tomorrow (I hope) ... We think we have a great spot for them in our garage under a set of steps that lead to the house. We actually used to use this area as a night kennel for our dogs and it still has great wire sides, etc. While it was good for the dogs at night, I wonder if it'll get enough daylight during the day. I'm hoping this isn't a stupid question, but I'm a city kid with absolutely NO exposure to chickens, and truly have NO idea if we're doing this right. So excited ... but ?? Would they be better in the laundry room of the house? I've been told that they're noisy and could be stinky, so I'm not too sure about that ....

We were also told to buy a 250w heat lamp but reading this section that sure seems hot! Are we gonna fry our babies? Yikes!

2. Watermelon_Gypsy

Watermelon_Gypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Ohhhh that's a good question! I hadn't thought of that. We are bringing our babies home tomorrow hopefully & they will be in our shed, I hadn't thought about how much light they will need so will be keeping an eye on this thread [​IMG]

I think I know the answer to your lamp & temp question, but I"m still such a newbie that I don't dare answer incase I get it wrong [​IMG]

btw from one newbie to the next [​IMG]

3. AuburnChickenNewbies

Apr 8, 2011
    Thank you for the welcome. There's just SO much to learn. It's a bit overwhelming right now. I just keep reading and reading this forum and getting more nervous all the time ... [​IMG]

4. Watermelon_Gypsy

Apr 26, 2010
    It really is! I'm nervous that I'm going to mess it up, but also so excited to have baby chicks.

Good luck!

Oh btw - I started a thread titled " Going to be a new Chicken Mama! Some questions" - in it has my chick checklist, that might help [​IMG] It's what I've put together while preparing for our chicks.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  5. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    OH MY!!! You need to do some MAJOR research, before bringing home those babies! Make sure they are in box, alot of people use a big plastic tub and I've used a cardboard box too. You'll have a heat lamp, using a chain to hold it up...it's the safest way to prevent fires. They need to stay warm 95 degrees for the first week and then you can drop that temps down by 5 degrees each week after. I always keep my chickes inside the house for the first several(4) weeks, then move them outside. I've heard alot of people put them in the garage and had much success. GOOD LUCK, and I beg you to do your research!...make sure you have everything they will need, feeders, waterers ect....

6. AuburnChickenNewbies

Apr 8, 2011
    we've figured out the feeders, waterers, etc. ... I think ... and putting them in a box or a plastic tub or even one of our dog crates are certainly possibilities. This is just such a good space that I was hoping it'd be okay. I just can't find anything about light.

We'll certainly be sure that we're maintaining the right temperature before using the heat lamp, it's just that we're getting so much conflicting advice now. Listening to folks that already have chickens and have had them for years, talking to the folks at our local feed store, reading reading reading. In this chicken world, there are sure lots of opinions, that's for sure! [​IMG]

7. Watermelon_Gypsy

Apr 26, 2010
    I found mypetchicken.com to be really helpful when I was looking around - they have a section for chick supplies & the bulb they offer is 250, the bulb that my local feed store offers for chicks is also 250 so I do believe your correct on the wattage (sp? lol).

I've been reading the book Riasing Chickens for Dummies, the next one will be Building Coops for Dummies. Although even in there I have found conflicting advice as well *shrugs* I figure if we keep reading, and reading and reading and raising our chicks we'll get it figured out! [​IMG]

8. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    It's really not hard, it's just stressful! Keep the temps right, feed and water... and your good to go really!

9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You need to put an inexpensive thermometer in your brooder before the chicks arrive and see how warm it is in there. Then, remember that the chicks themselves will raise the temp a little. The brooder needs to be large enough that the ones who want to can get to a cooler space. More chicks are lost to too much heat than not enough.

Light really isn't critical at first; they will get all the light they need from natural daylight and the heat source. In general, chickens just need natural day/night cycles. If the spot for the brooder is too dark, you should probably figure out a way to let a little natural light in, though.

Here is a good basic guide: https://www.backyardchickens.com/raising-chickens-basics.php

And
    yes, there are differences of opinion. I don't make their brooder as warm as is recommended. I prefer medicated feed (with amprolium) but some people don't. And so forth. Just watch them, check on them; they will let you know if something is wrong.

10. AuburnChickenNewbies

Apr 8, 2011
    Thanks for the link! Off to check it out.

If it seems too dark, can we just use a regular light bulb? Maybe even one of those daylight types? Getting natural daylight to this area is a bit tricky.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by