How much light is best?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by dsbailey70, Jan 10, 2015.

1. dsbailey70

dsbailey70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2014
    Nederland, Texas
    One of my Silkies is recovering from an illness, and because of that and the weather, I've got her in a makeshift sickroom inside (in a bathroom). In the room, I added a lamp, that has two light sockets; a 23W CFL (gives 100W of light), and a 13W CFL (gives 60W of light). I do not want to increase egg production, but only want to mimic natural light as best I can. I added the lamp because the main light is connected to an exhaust fan, and I don't want to run the fan all day. My question is this: what bulb wattage is best for providing light while she's inside; 60, or 100W, or both?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    She won't be in there forever so 60 is probably sufficient. Whatever gives enough light depending on the size of the room that replicates a cloudy/overcast day.
    It's not the intensity so much that stimulates lay but increasing time each day. Since she's recovering, less light is probably less stressful.

3. dsbailey70

dsbailey70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2014
    Nederland, Texas
    Ok, that sounds good. Thank you. :) While I'm home, I'm turning it on/off manually to mimic outside. I have a timer on it too, for when I'm not home.

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    good plan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by