how much light needed for the coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by maggiegigs, Sep 10, 2010.

1. maggiegigs

maggiegigs Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2010
    I have a small window, vent window and hatch door that is open most of the time. I was wondering how much light is needed for the chickens to lay? Someone told me they needs LOTS OF light, but not direct sunlight. So how much is enough? Many thanks.[​IMG]

2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Your chickens will spend their days outside, right? They'll get plenty of light out there. Some people add supplemental light in the coop in the wintertime to try to get their hens to continue laying during the period of the year that they would normally not be laying.

3. maggiegigs

Jul 31, 2010
    No, my chickens want to stay in the coop. They come out in the morning for about 45 minutes and then head back in. If the weather is nice they will come in and out for A FEW BRIEF TIMES, but that is it. Early evening they will come out for about 45 minutes again.
    They spend about 9 hours in that darn coop. I am getting worried because I have to shew them out allot.
    What do I do? This does not seem normal. And they especially will not come out if there is any wind! Should I shut their door for several hours to make them stay out. If they free range they go and just hang out in the bushes all day. Good grief.:

4. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    How old is the chickens or how long have you had them?

5. birdman74

birdman74 New Egg

Sep 5, 2010
    spokane, wa
    I also have to shew out my 2 chickens. They are 4-6 months old and I have had them about 5 days. I have been closing the door to force them to stay in their run.

6. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    They will come around, their new to their surroundings. It doesn't hurt to shut them out for a bit.

7. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    For horses to ovulate with artificial light it has to be light enough in the darker corner to read a newspaper. Hope that helps. Don't know if that is the same for chickens.

8. maggiegigs

Jul 31, 2010
    The girls are 5.5 months. Orpingtons. They are really sweet. Would it be alright to close the door for a few hours in the am...let them back in in the afternoon...and then out again early pm w/door closed till dusk? I am concerned they are not foraging enough and getting their vit D. They can free range all they want but prefer their coop.[​IMG]

9. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Have they started laying yet? If not, it should be soon. Do they have a place to lay their eggs in the coop? One of mine has started laying and she likes the semi enclosed area behind the nest boxes I made [​IMG] If they haven't started laying you could shut them out for a few hours. Do they have an enclosed run or free range in your yard? If you haven't had them very long, they could just be getting used to their new surroundings. If that isn't the case...who knows? Do you keep their feeder in the coop? If so, I might move it outside if you have a protected area where it won't get wet when it rains. Try different things till you hit on something that works.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by