How much light needed?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by vjbakke, May 6, 2011.

1. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    Our coop is in a garage and has a window but still doesn't get much sun. I am thinking we will have to leave a florescent light on a timer in their coop for good egg production, especially in our cold dark MN winters. What amount of light is good? Maybe an LED would be good, that would use even less power to run it.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    If you are going to add light, it's recommended that you provide it for 14 hours a day.

3. DickGJ

DickGJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Sumter, South Carolina
    I have LED Rope lights installed in the ceiling of my coop. It uses very little electricity, no heat (so no worries of fire), and it provides enough light that they'll continue to feed, drink and lay eggs in.
    Works well for me...and easy to install. No worries of broken glass either from a regular incandescent or flourescent light bulb. Maybe a lava lamp or mood lamp will improve the laying...scratch that thought... you may only end up with "laid back" hens who won't give a darn while flipping you the peace sign! Ha ha!

4. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    Quote:I like the rope light idea. I just might try that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by