How much light?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by [email protected], Nov 5, 2009.

1. Anotherday@thefunnyfarm

[email protected] Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2009
    Tallahassee
    We are VERY new to the chicken world - I apologize is this is being posted in the wrong section. We have had a light on for them 24 hrs a day since we got them at a week old. They are approximately 10 weeks old right now. Last night when we came home - we realized the bulb had blown and they were sitting in the dark. My question is should the light still be on all the time? Do they need to be in the dark at some point? I was just curious because they were huddled up in the corner when we went out to change the bulb - like they were scared of the dark!!! I have a timer and could set it for whatever is needed - just not sure what to do!!!

2. neferset

neferset Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    How cold was it? The point of the light in brooders is usually for a heat source. I think the general rule is that you start brooding at 95*F and drop the temperature 5*F per week until your chick can handle the ambient air temperature. By 10 weeks they can handle a good bit of cool weather, though.

3. Anotherday@thefunnyfarm

Sep 8, 2009
    Tallahassee
    We live in North Florida (Tallahassee) - so it's not really all that cold - probably about about 50 degrees at its lowest last night - it's about 80 degrees during the day. How long should the light be on for them... the sun rises about 5 now.. and goes down around 6 - I wasn't sure if they needed to be in the dark for a certain amount of time? I mean obviously at 10 weeks - they're not ready to lay - but they sure did look a bit disturbed that it was dark! I'm not sure I want to raise skeeredy chickens!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  4. neferset

Aug 23, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Actually, 50 is a bit cold for 10 weeks. They do huddle when they are cold. Light really has nothing to do with that. Some people use unlighted heaters or black lights for warmth. I have a big room with a few brooders in it. Some of the chicks are in the dark at night because they are able to get by on the waste heat from the heat lamps over the brooders with the younger chicks.

5. Anotherday@thefunnyfarm

Sep 8, 2009
    Tallahassee
    Ok.. heat I can fix - our temps go up and down so quickly here - it's like winter one week - and we're wearing shorts the next - I never shut down my pool during the winter because we can still use it - it's bizarre!! So... never minding the heat factor... how long should I leave the light on for them? Do they need it off to sleep? They always seem rather active when we check on them (w/the light on) - yesterday when we went out there to change the bulb - they were all smooshed together sleeping. Have we been giving the chickens insomnia since we got them??

6. neferset

Aug 23, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I know. [​IMG] I lived in Ocala/Gainesville for 23 years. I remember a December in the 90s one year but I also remember the odd 20*F day here and there. Some days, I would go out dressed for summer weather and come back freezing, too. Fun times.

The light issue...We use mainly red lights on our brooders. I've heard it cuts down on pecking, but it seems to help them sleep. They are all in rooms with windows, so they get some natural light during the day.They need a brooder lamp and/or heater whenever the temps dip lower than they can tolerate at their age (again, start at 95*F and decrease 5*F for each week).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by