How much longer can they stay in this dog crate?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bocephus, Jun 4, 2012.

1. bocephus

bocephus In the Brooder

Feb 8, 2012
    Outside of Ann Arbor MI
    Batch of Buckeyes, around 24 of them. Not exactly sure they aren't easy to count. Anyways they are only two weeks old now and growing fast. How much longer can I keep them in this crate for? At this pace it doesn't look long.

My next place to move them would be my coop, it's a 8x16 shed style split into two sections so I would put them in one 8x8 section.

Also I'm currently feeding them the Dumor Chick starter from tractor supply, how long should I keep using that for?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. You already know the answer here, really. They need all the space they can get to run, scratch, fly around, chest bump, etc.

They are gorgeous. Move 'em on out. Very, very pretty. BTW, you can, if you wish, feed them starter/grower all the way to point of lay.

3. bocephus

bocephus In the Brooder

Feb 8, 2012
    Outside of Ann Arbor MI
    What about keeping them warm? Right now they're forecasting lows in the 50/60's, highs in the 70/80's for the next couple of weeks. I suppose if I stuck that crate out there with the door open and the lamp sitting on top they could still get under it if they wanted.

4. Extension cord?

All they really need is a hotspot and that heat lamp looks capable. Just be sure to use a cable tie or other safe connection to secure the lamp. They don't need to have an entire eco system warmed to 80F. Just a warm circle, 3' in diameter or so. They'll go there, warm up, and then go off and play in the 8x8 area. They'll no doubt sleep under the lamp as well. We brood in the barn from day one.

5. bocephus

bocephus In the Brooder

Feb 8, 2012
    Outside of Ann Arbor MI
    Oh I've got electric out there, was more concerned about keeping a stable temp like they have in my bathroom.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    But if you think about how they'd be if they were raised by a momma hen, at this age they'd be out in the coop, running around all the time. My three week old broody raised chicks hardly go under momma during the day and our temps have been from high eighties down to the fifties during the day. They cuddle under her for a while, then out exploring. I think the exposure to the change in temps keeps them hardy.

I wish everyone who broods chicks could watch a broody hen mother hers first. It's SO different than what the books advise for temp, and they're much hardier birds in my experience.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: