How Much Longer? From Peep to the Pip

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mrbstephens, May 11, 2010.

1. mrbstephens

mrbstephens Chillin' With My Peeps

This morning I heard a peep. Then again this afternoon. Mostly it's just real quiet. I'm on day 20. How much longer till I see a pip? [​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  2. mrbstephens

[​IMG]

3. Jenandnaomi

Jenandnaomi Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2010
    Eugene OR
    I had some hatch day 21 and most hatched day 22 on my first try.

4. mrbstephens

Just wondering how long the air in the cell will last them. Is it possible they run out of air before they manage to pip?

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Because they run out of air is why they pip.

Co2 levels up, chick cracks the shell.

Give it 24 hours or so to pip, and another 24-48 to hatch out.

Don't touch that bator or even peek in or you risk compromising the hatch with humidity swings.

Shells are porous and the chick has been taking in oxygen to "breahe" since the day you started incubating them. Oxygen is a small molecule that diffuses easily.

6. The Wolf Queen

The Wolf Queen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Ive never had that happen with chicks but with ducklings yes. What should happen is that when they start to run out of air they pip to get more unless the chick is too big or is in a position where they cant pip. Hope this helps.

7. mrbstephens

Oh cool! So tomorrow morning I should have a pip! [​IMG] And I know to not open the bator. I even taped the lid shut! I have tubes running to containers from the outside to add water and lots of vents too. Thanks! [​IMG]

8. mrbstephens

The suspense is KILLING ME!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

9. mrbstephens

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2 PIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by