1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how much longer is my hen gonna keep laying and possibly set

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by lcw1995, Sep 16, 2011.

1. lcw1995

lcw1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Marysville Ohio
    my 1 1/2 yr old guinea hen started laying behind a board in my coop
    theres 3 eggs in there now
    do you think she will set on them or will it get to cold over the next month
    thanks
    cole
    :)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  2. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Quote:dont know about your climate.... but Guineas are not very good mothers. Once she gets a collection of them you might slip them under a broody or put them in an incubator. Cold weather or not.... If you want the eggs to hatch.

3. lcw1995

Nov 27, 2010
    Marysville Ohio
    oh i no there not good mothers
    i just want to see what happens
    ill keep them penned up till about 2-3 weeks in the coop
    her nest is in my coop right now

4. GuineaLady93

GuineaLady93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Cameron, NC
    My Coop
    Quote:Today the temp was around 58 all day and one of my hens is setting (somewhere can't find her, just saw her so I know she aint dead or anything) and she is still on it. If I can find her I will get her eggs since she is in the woods. But if she were in a coop, safe, I would just leave her and let her do all the incubating work. But mine usually don't start setting until they have about 11 or 12 eggs.
    Good Luck!

5. lcw1995

Nov 27, 2010
    Marysville Ohio
    Quote:Today the temp was around 58 all day and one of my hens is setting (somewhere can't find her, just saw her so I know she aint dead or anything) and she is still on it. If I can find her I will get her eggs since she is in the woods. But if she were in a coop, safe, I would just leave her and let her do all the incubating work. But mine usually don't start setting until they have about 11 or 12 eggs.
    Good Luck!

oh ok so she should be fine huh
    well thats good
    ill let her go and see what happens
    thanks ashley
    :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by