How much longer (sexing ducks)?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by vfem, Jan 12, 2009.

1. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I know I can start looking for a Curl in a male ducks tail to help me sex my pekins. At what age with this curl be visible? Right now they both look flat like you would expect on a female. Neither are making any more sounds I can distinguish as a quack yet either.

They are both 9 weeks this week. How much longer until the females voice changes or I can see that curl?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    The drake feather comes in around 4 months or so, but I have 2 pekins that are 3 weeks old, and one of them is definitely trying to quack already. I would say yours are probably boys if they aren't trying to quack.

3. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I want to say the drake feather comes in around 11 weeks, but I could be wrong about that. All I know is that it took about 14 weeks for my drake's curly feather to come in. I knew he was a male though, he started getting in his male coloring long before the drake feather came in.

Even at 9 weeks you may be able to tell the males from the females by the quacking. My females were extremely loud at 9 weeks old.

4. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Now I have Rouens, but it was 17 weeks before they turned boy on me
    Christina

5. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    They make the low peep sounds they've made since they were born. Born very vocal always... right now I don't hear much from them as they're out on the pond most the time. They are out in the yard with the chickens now and I'm not so sure. One definitely looks malish to me?

I have some pictures I took I can upload and try to see if I can tell then.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by