How much longer to wait with my black sex link?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cindilou, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Cindilou

Cindilou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Largo, FL
    My black sex link gal was a few weeks when I got her in mid-November. I am still not getting an egg from her! I know all chickens are different, just like people, they mature at different rates but she is over 7 months. I thought black sex links were hybridized to start early. I really like this chicken. She's squatted for us for months. She is top hen back there and in charge of all the ladies. She does look meatier than the other layers. Perhaps she has a lot of genes from a stock of birds bred for the table? What are your experiences with black sex links?

2. Cindilou

Jan 2, 2011
    Largo, FL
    Anyone with black sex link experience?

3. lambchicks

lambchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    North Carolina
    I have one, she is also a little bigger than my other red sex links. She started laying about about 21 weeks. She is like clock work, one egg a day. Do you think maybe she is hiding them from you?

4. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    If she has been squatting for awhile I'd be stunned if she is not already laying. I can think of 3 options. 1) She is hiding them 2) She is eating them 3) You are attributing her eggs to one of your other hens.

5. Cindilou

Jan 2, 2011
    Largo, FL
    It's possible but I have never once seen her interested in the laying boxes and we look in the corners of the run hoping she has a stash somewhere. Perhaps she is just sneaky about it and takes turns with the other but I won't know for sure until there are three brown eggs in one day. Then I will know the brown layers are all "working." After months there should be a pyramid of eggs if she has a stash. I need to get a hen cam and spy on her!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by