How much louder do roosters get as they mature?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by susanah, Jun 30, 2011.

1. susanah

susanah Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    We have a 12 week old OEG bantam that is now beginning to crow.
    Sounds like a squeaky toy, but not really any louder than our grown hens
    eggsongs. Will he get much louder as he grows?

2. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    In my experiences no, but it will get lower [​IMG]

3. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Bantam breeds are on the smaller scale as chickens go but I bet the can belt out a fairly loud crow when they mature. I know my white rock when he was young he had no volume at all. Now he is over a year old and is a 12 pound veritable crowing machine. With the coop closed up tight in the middle of winter with snow on the ground he still cant be muffled. I think he begins at his toes to get a crow going. So yes they get louder. For all the noise he makes he is an excellent watch dog,lets you know when all is not right with his world. Dont matter what it is,strange car in the d-way,someone walking in the road past the house,squirel doing what they do he lets you know.

4. susanah

susanah Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    I'm hoping we'll be able to keep him, but if he starts annoying the neighbors, or waking me up too early, he will have to go. [​IMG]

5. Lacey1988

Lacey1988 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Mississippi
    depends on the breed...But they do get louder but as they get older they don't do it as much also in the winter mine hardy ever crowed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by