How much medicine powder to use?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DragonEggs, Jun 28, 2010.

1. DragonEggs

DragonEggs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Borger, TX
    I've been putting Duramycin and Electrolye powder in my chickens water to help them recover from pox (around the eyes and scratching their eyes) and all the stress they've been under. I use 2 liter soda bottles to water them and have been sprinkling the powder in the soda bottles. I noticed though that the chickens aren't so eager to drink, even though it is VERY HOT here. The water was also turning VERY yellow. I think they don't like the way it tastes. Maybe I'm using too much? There are only large scale directions on the back of the package so I wasn't sure how much to use so I was only sprinkling about a teaspoon of each powder into the bottles. Is that too much for a 2 liter bottle? Should I down it to half a teaspoon? Should I just sprinkle it in their food instead of putting it in the water? How much of that should I do? Advice would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thanks so much!

2. DragonEggs

May 11, 2010
    Borger, TX
    Anyone?

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Are you talking about dry fowl pox?

4. DragonEggs

May 11, 2010
    Borger, TX
    yea. I know theres nothing you can really do for it (ive been putting iodine on the sores) but the sores have started to grow around their eyes and eyelids and they've been scratching and really irritating their eyes. I've seen quite a bit of progress in one of my roos since I inroduced the powder but 2 more of my birds have an eye thats swollen shut.

5. dawg53

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I've dealt with fowl pox and it's a pain in the butt. I'm glad you're using iodine, it helps dry out the scabs. Scabs are highly infectious too and since it's a virus it can be easily spread. I've never used injectable nor powdered antibiotics for fowl pox because they're useless against a virus but great for secondary infections like you're dealing with. I've read that if the eyes, mouth,or nostrils get scabs around them to pull the scabs off with tweezers to prevent 'wet' pox from occurring, then apply regular neosprin to prevent bacterial infection. Fortunately for me, mine were strictly confined to combs and a few to the wattles, none near their eyes etc... I'm sorry, I've never used powdered antibiotics and cant help you in that respect. I've always used neosporin or triple antibiotic ointments. As you know, it has to run its course, usually about a month or so. The good thing is your chickens will be immune to it after it's all said and done. I recommend you add probiotics to their feed also...plain yogurt or buttermilk.

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Dawg's advice sounds good.
    About the dosage of Duramycin. I had the same question a few years ago. I asked at the feedstore and they said just a pinch in a gallon of water. That was not exact enough for me, so I came home and measured out the package and came up with a scant 1/4 teaspoon per gallon. That has been close to the dosage I have since seen posted often, by others.
    Now the last time I posted that, someone else came on and said they had called the manufacturer and was told that it was 3/4 teaspoon per gallon. That seems wrong to me, that means there would need to be 83 teaspoons (28tbsp)(1 3/4cups) of powder in the package.
    Either way 1 teaspoon per 2 liter bottle is stronger than either. So an answer is Yes cut back on the amount you use. It should be light yellow.

Good luck

Imp

7. dawg53

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Thanks Imp, I was curious to know also!

8. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    I am using a product called super booster... when DH did the math.. it worked out to 1/2 teaspoon for a 1liter sports bottle of water.... and yes it goes yellow as the day goes on... and remember its only stable for 24 hours... so what ever is left after 24 hours must be dis guarded and fresh stuff mixed

9. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Now someone can come on here and tell us we are all wrong. [​IMG]

We should have gone all the way metric back in the 70's. Would have made these things so much easier. I think people get confused because weight & volume measurements are different depending on what's getting measured, and they don't convert easily.

Imp

10. DragonEggs

May 11, 2010
    Borger, TX
    Ah thanks for that! Yes I have been throwing away and making new water everyday. I'll go make a new batch and cut down to 1/4 teaspoon of each powder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by