how much money have you spent on your setup?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Gallusfarm, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    I'm looking for honest answers on how much money the "typical" (I know there really is no definition for that) backyard chicken owner has spent on their setups (coop, run, etc.), not including food and daily expenses. I know there are no right or wrong answers, I just get a lot of slack when people find out how much I've spent on my chickens. I guess it's all relative, and what is important to you. It's a hobby after all - I mean, if someone plays golf (not that I don't like golf) that can be a lot of money each year - what's the difference?

Thanks for your input!!!

2. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    First, It is an up town, classy, wouldn't mind living in it myself, coop. And it is a huge run. With that said...over $2000. The electric and water has not been added into the total yet.
    But, It will be there for generations, and if we decide not to have chickens after they have lived their lives well, then it will be extremely easy to convert into a very nice office or studio.
    ...yes, we HAVE spent a lot of time tying to justify that expense in these very tough times. We do not regret it even in the smallest way.

3. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    I've spent about $2500 so far. Anyone who says chickens are less expensive than dogs is probably lying. But they're fun so it's worth it.

4. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Quote:Ohh, I checked out your coop and run - I love it! Thanks for the reply.

5. djmooney

djmooney Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    too much
    [​IMG]

6. bantybev

bantybev Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2009
    SW Michigan
    Over $1500 and counting [​IMG] That's just for an 8X8 shed kit (nothing fancy), insulation and interior panels to cover insulation, an 8X8 outdoor 1/2" X1/2" hardware covered run made with treated 2X4s, Never realized how expensive hardware, screws, and nails could be....lol. We are running out of time (it's suppose to snow this week) so we will add on to the outside run next spring. All this for 3 little banties I inhereted from my aunt when she passed away last month [​IMG] see this post https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=266286&p=1 )

Every time I think we made the last trip to home depot (at about 4 hours each...they have so many options!) We find out we need just a few more things...lol
    As you can probably tell...my husband and I are a little "construction challenged" and learning as we go [​IMG]

7. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    How much have you spent ascorbic?
    I sometimes look around and realize that the plants and hens live in a nicer place I do...
    Some people work to spend spend fortunes on their homes, we spent fortunes on our work.
    ...but when we die of exhaustion at least we will have enjoyed the journey.

8. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    uhmmmm..... just the coop/run/feeders/waterers?

3 runs, 1 grow out/bachelor run, 1 coop, will have 2 more coops built in the coming weeks..... Less than $100 and that was for nails, hinges, chicken wire, screws, 2 2x4's, 5 1x4's, 1 feeder, 1 waterer.
    Everything else has been scrounged from our yard and construction sites. My BYC page has phase 1 and 2, which are now the main coop and the bachelor run. The pic below is phase 3, phase 4 was built this weekend but haven't taken a pic of it yet. Will be building a 3rd run and installing coops for each run before the end of the year.
    [​IMG]

9. hilandfrog

hilandfrog Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2009
    I'd say I'm somewhere in the $400 area??

[​IMG]

Figure a roll of 100' X 6' 2"x4" fencing is about $120 here,
    hardware cloth about $30 for a 50' X 2 X1/2"
    Ckn wire 3' X 50' $20 or so

Reuse as much as one can, construction sites and Cull bins are your friends

Windows and doors $5-20 each used.
    Both my door and sliding window came out of an old truck camper being demolished

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Electrics if needed can go for cheep +/- 20 for a few outlets, light sockets/ fixtures and wiring, use salvation army, thrift stores or other USED construction places.

insulation can be many things, Lots of folks use old paper or even carpet padding, insure it is kept mold free.

$$ vs time:lol:

[​IMG]

The time money continuum...

Enough time and not enough money or
    Enough money and not enough time.

No matter how much one spends, IMHO this guy will still get in if'N he wants too.

[​IMG]

Repo

10. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    $10.69. I got the coop for free on freecycle but spent $7.71 in lumber to fix it up. I purchased a stud at Lowe's for $1.98 and made a free standing roost out of it. I scrounged some buckets from my grocery store and spent $1 at the thrift store to get a vegie tray, then made a feeder and waterer out of the vegie tray and buckets. For grit and oyster shell, I took empty yogurt containers and nailed them to a fencepost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by