How much niacin?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Ducky16, May 26, 2010.

1. Ducky16

Ducky16 Hatching

Jul 16, 2009
    My adult indian runners and campbells were having leg problems so I got some niacin at the drugstore. How much niacin should I give each duck every day? I plan to sprinkle it in their feed (purina layer pellets) but I don't want to overdose. Can you help me?

Thanks!

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I just sprinkle it on like I'm salting my food 2 or 3 times a week.

3. JosieR

JosieR Songster

Apr 24, 2010
    Orange County, NY
    Storey's Guide says 100-150 mg in a gallon of water. It also cautions against giving too much, thinking if some is good, more is better. I was only able to get 500 mg capsules so I divided it up in apx 5 equal amounts and stored them in tin foil. I'm putting one of those per day in a gallon of water. So far, so good.

4. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Songster

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Do you feed niacin because your ducks don't get to fresh greenery? I've never had an issue, but mine get out to graze every day.

5. Ducky16

Ducky16 Hatching

Jul 16, 2009
    My ducks free range over two acres of pasture.

6. JosieR

JosieR Songster

Apr 24, 2010
    Orange County, NY
    My understanding, from all the reading I've done here is the ducks can't absorb the niacin in greens (or can't aborb as much/as easily? I forget which) and so bugs are a good source of niacin which their bodies can absorb. However, my ducks are just starting to spend the day outside in a dog kennel with access to bugs so I have been giving them the niacin, although only the 100mg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: