How much noise do they make?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by GBov, Nov 15, 2009.

1. GBov

GBov Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    How much noise would 10 to 15 meaties make? And would hen chicks be quieter than boys?

I really want to get some stealth chickens but dont want to get busted lol The time that meaties are around is appealing, as is the fact they dont like to move round as much as proper chickens do so keeping them in a smaller area isnt going to be hard on them. The only thing that might get me caught is if they are noisy so I thought I would ask all you lovely people who have had them [​IMG]

SO, how much noise do they make?

2. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Not much at all.... they don't crow or cackle... so your ok in that department.

3. GBov

Apr 3, 2009
    Oh GREAT!!! The new back yard (moving soon [​IMG]) is privacy fenced so I thought I would make a run and use the old shed and grow lots of vines and greenery to help hide and shade them. I figured if I did batches of 15 they wouldnt need that much room and if they arnt noisy then I think stealth poultry is in my future.

Sadly no hens for eggs, they are just TOOOOO loud when they lay an egg, twould give the game away [​IMG]

4. jensen

jensen Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2009
    Yes, there really isn't that much noise...at least to my ears!

5. logan

logan Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2009
    not much [​IMG]

6. Ang

Ang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    They do however squawk when you trip on them or step on their toes when you are trying to fill their feeders as they are rushing it. Otherwise they are extremely quiet!

7. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

They will make noise- enough that if you're trying to keep them secret and you have neighbors, they will probably know something is up, but they certainly don't make enough noise to be annoying. My 6 layers make more noise than my 75 meaties, except around feeding time.

8. GBov

Apr 3, 2009
    Quote:LOL

I have planned a totally enclosed run with an easy access feeding area so hopefully wont be tripping over them [​IMG]

Getting rather excited now, after looking at the city codes I had given up on chickens till this idea popped into my head. Small numbers often will supply us with chicken with the least chance of detection.

Well, thats the plan anyway [​IMG]

9. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Plant something especially fragrant in your yard so the STINK of their poop doesn't give them away! [​IMG]

10. tropicalchicken

tropicalchicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2008
    Washington
    They do poop tons. The stink was bad enough that I have not grown any more, and I have fifty other chickens, so that is saying something. I found them to be extremely easy to take care of, with very little noise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by