How much of a Preparation H suppository?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Country4ever, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Country4ever

Country4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    I have a hen that will be 11 years old in June. She has a very big swollen area under her vent with pea-sized bulges in it. It's soft to the touch.
    It may just be her old age and sagging. She's always squatting, but has really small hard stools. I gave her about 1/3 of a suppository the other day, hoping if there is swelling, it will go down enough for her to have a good B.M. But I'm wondering.........can I give a half of one.......or even a whole suppository?
    Thanks.

2. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    Can you post a picture?

3. Country4ever

Oct 26, 2007
    I'll try to get one this weekend, when my husband is home. It's sort of a 2 person job.
    But....today as I was putting another suppository in her, the whole swollen/sagging area felt really soft. I have drained several chickens in the past. One must have had big egg problems, 'cause it was bright green fluid. the other one had congenital issues and I would drain her every 3-4 months of clear fluid.
    But.....I'm thinking maybe I could puncture that big sagging sac and maybe if it was fluid-filled and could drain with gravity, she'd feel better?

Then again......nobody around here seems to have chickens as old as I do.......so maybe it's just an issue of aging and sagging tissues. Heck, I'd be in trouble myself if people thought all my sagging places needed drained. [​IMG]

4. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    It depends what your dealing with, is she possibly prolapsed? I have had old chickens until 10 or 11 yrs old, they seemed to look about the same. Just don't know without a picture what your dealing with i wouldn't drain her unless you are completely sure.

5. Country4ever

Oct 26, 2007
    I'll try to get a pic this weekend.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by